Hook Norton Parish Council Community Grant Policy
Under Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972, Hook Norton Parish Council has discretionary powers to award grants to local groups or organisations for the purposes of bringing a direct benefit to the parish or its residents.
The total grants fund agreed as available from April 2021 to April 2022 is £12,162.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the award of a grant under Section 137 an organisation must demonstrate a clear need for financial support to benefit the parish
· Providing a service
· Enhancing the quality of life
· Improving recreation and / or sports
· Improving the environment
· Promoting the parish of Hook Norton in a positive way
The law requires that grants made under Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972 must be “in the interests of or will directly benefit the area or its inhabitants, or of part of it, or some of it” and “the direct benefit should be commensurate with expenditure” So if for example only 5% of residents will benefit then only 5% of the total budgeted S137 monies can be granted.
- private individuals
- commercial organisations operated as a business to make a profit or surplus
- purposes for which there is a statutory duty upon other local or central government departments to fund or provide
- regional or national organisations unless their activities provide an identifiable benefit to local residents, or funds are not available from their national bodies, or the funds available are inadequate for a specified project.
- political parties
- religious organisations: unless for a purpose which does not discriminate on grounds of belief
- projects that discriminate on any grounds
- retrospective grant applications
- the Council is unable to give financial assistance to individuals or charities operating overseas.
This list is not exclusive and may be added to at the council’s discretion.
If you are interested in finding out more and wish to be considered for an award, please download the attached policy and application form or request a hard copy from the clerk at : email@example.com